Thursday, June 28, 2012

Why I can't stand AirBnB

There are days I get up and feel like freakin' Mugatu. As if I'm the only person in the whole damn world who notices that Zoolander has just one look. In this case I'm talking about AirBnB.

Am I the only person in the whole damn world who's noticed how AirBnB is the worst brand ever? Seriously, the worst.

When I hear AirBnB I hear "air bed" and "bed and breakfast". Can you freakin' imagine a bed and breakfast that had air beds? What are these people thinking? What sort of lame bed and breakfast would that be?

And air beds are those horrible things that everyone gets a bad night's sleep on and get pulled out because your wife forces you to sleep on it alone because you've been snoring again or you've been forced to give up the marital bed for her parents when the come to stay.

An air bed.

And bed and breakfasts? Who wants to stay in a bed and breakfast. Ever notice how it's some sort of legal requirement for at least one of the bed and breakfast's owners to have a physical defect or personality disorder. I once stayed in a bed and breakfast where I swear one of the owners had a colostomy bag based on the weird smell and strange equipment in the shared bathroom.

Bed and breakfasts are just one step on the creepy scale above youth hostels.

Which brings me, naturally, to Yellow Yellow. There's deep thinking behind the name. The Mayan word for yellow is k'an which also means precious and ripe. I like to think that what we're doing at Yellow Yellow is both precious to our customers and ripe for the picking.

The ancient Greeks referred to repeating a word as epizeuxis and they did it for emphasis. The idea of calling the company Yellow Yellow (and not just Yellow) came to me while on a retreat at a Buddhist monastery in Montana. I'd been reading Henry David Thoreau's Walden and was struck by one single line in the book: "Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity". At Yellow Yellow we're searching for precious, ripe, simplicity.

And lastly it's a single color which makes printing cheap when we come to print collateral. The official color used by Yellow Yellow is PANTONE 14-0848 Mimosa. It was Pantone's color of the year in 2009 (the year Cassiopeia and I married) and it represents "hopefulness and reassurance in a climate of change".

And that's a clear message about Yellow Yellow's products: they bring hope to our customers. Precious, ripe, simple hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment